Thursday, April 16, 2015

Minnesotahhh...

A few weeks ago a posted a blog on my Eat. Poop. Live site about being homesick.  In it I made the comment that no where feels like home anymore.  I think I was wrong about that.  I think Minnesota will always be home to me.

Simon and I are in Minnesota for the next 7 days, and I find myself reveling in all that is familiar.  Soft water in the shower!  Humidity!  My hair has volume!  My skin is soft!  I'm in heaven!!  Today we find ourselves in Minneapolis, staying at Simon's former roommate's house.  This morning we walked over to Caribou Coffee (a Minnesota staple) and had ourselves some breakfast.  We even sat outside, so pleasant is this partly-sunny day (also a Minnesota staple).  We're looking forward to the next few days, laden with a smattering of some of our favorite Minnesota friends and family. 

Tonight I will be hanging out with Dana, my best friend from high school.  We're going to a place here in town called Minnehaha Falls; it's a waterfall right here in the city and it's absolutely beautiful.  I've actually only been to the falls once, which seems almost sad, really, given that I lived here for over two years.  It's a pretty green space in the middle of a residential area, and it's a wonderful place to take a stroll with a cup of coffee and catch up with a friend whom I haven't seen in quite some time. 

Tomorrow Simon and I will wander down to the Minneapolis Convention Center to pick up our race packets for the Hot Chocolate 15k that we are running on Saturday morning.  On our way back, we will swing by the shops on St. Anthony Main, grab a coffee, and wander around on the Stone Arch Bridge and the surrounding parks.  Again, another beautiful green space with fantastic views of downtown Minneapolis.  Friday evening Simon and I will be having dinner with my Franko, my best friend from college, his wife Andrea and their daughter Charlotte (one of two babies for whom I brought a bunch of baby clothes), and our friends Adam and Melissa, who we are staying with in Minneapolis.  Guaranteed to be a good time.

Saturday morning we run our Hot Chocolate Race with our friend Ellen and my nemesis Kate (Ellen's sister...we vie for ownership of Ellen whenever possible...hahaha!).  The race is run mostly along the Mississippi River, and while my training regimen (what training regimen?) has been poor, I'm looking forward to running.  The tutu will be making an appearance as well.  After the race I'm sure we'll grab some breakfast somewhere, and then will make our way to Farmington, MN to stop by to say hello to my cousin Keri and her family.  And then it's on to Rochester, where we will be meeting up with my brother Mike and his girlfriend Christina.  They are throwing an 80's aerobics party at their house Saturday evening.  I still need to get an outfit for that.  Perhaps maybe I'll just wear the tutu again.  ;)

Sunday is family day.  Christina has already made reservations for brunch for us along with my parents.  Really looking forward to that...I love brunch, and Rochester has really upped its game in the restaurant department these last few years.  Sunday afternoon is all about family time, which I'm looking forward to.  Hopefully some of my extended family will be able to come over and say hello...and have some eats, of course.  Always the eats, and quite possibly some card games.

Monday I will be getting a pedicure from Sarah, my most favorite pedicurist at Fox Nails in Rochester, MN.  She is amazing, and she's so incredibly sweet...and she always feeds me...hahaha!  I always make a point to go in and see her when I'm in Rochester.  Monday evening we will find ourselves back in Minneapolis, hanging out with Simon's friend and former volleyball coach, Chris.  We are planning to go to the Surly Taproom, home of Simon's all time favorite brew, Furious.

Tuesday we will have lunch with Ellen and her husband Fred at Minne's Diner in Rogers, MN.  If you haven't been there, you should.  The Minneapple Pie is worth the drive to the 'burbs.  Tuesday evening I will be meeting little Miss Evie Miller, the newest baby to join my group of college friends.  My suitcase was also full of clothes for little Evie...have I mentioned that I like buying baby clothes??  Hahaha!  Evie's parents Naomi and Miller just recently finished renovating their home on Lake Minnetonka, and knowing Naomi's flare for decorating, I'm sure the place is absolutely adorable.  I can't wait to see them.

And that pretty much sums up our trip.  Safe to say that we're cramming in as much as possible, and while it still isn't enough time to see everyone, I'm happy to be able to see everyone who is able to make time for us, even if it's only for a short time.     

No comments:

Post a Comment