Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Addicted to eBay

Again, no secret that I've got some serious shopping issues.  But...I've found a way to actually make it somewhat profitable...if that's even possible.  Selling things on eBay has practically become a side business for me.  In the last month, I've sold over $600 worth of stuff...I'm pretty impressed with myself!

I've been eBaying for almost as long as I've been using the internet.  I remember my dad was really big into eBay when I was in high school, buying rare and vintage Boy Scout patches for his collection.  I started using it towards my later years in college.  I still remember my first eBay purchase...a red and white cheerleader outfit that I planned on wearing for Halloween the fall of my senior year of college.  The outfit ended up being a bit snug, so I posted it back on eBay for $20 more than I paid and sold it within a week.  And thus, my relationship with eBay had begun.

For the most part, I used to only buy things on eBay.  I hadn't really gotten into selling things until the last couple years.  I sell the most random things on there, but mostly it's just books, clothing, shoes, and bags.  It's true that I have no shortage of Luluemon apparel, and given the brand's rabid fan base, there is quite the lucrative second-hand market for it on eBay.  Most of the time I'm able to sell stuff for more than I paid.  Not always, but most of the time.  Sometimes it's enough just to break even. 

Today I sold 7 pairs of knee-high socks.  I actually posted the socks thinking that no one would ever buy them, but lo and behold, they'll be heading to their new home in Alexandria, VA in the morning.  I found myself chuckling at the idea that someone would buy used knee-high socks on eBay, but given the fact that I posted them initially, maybe it's not so funny after all.  Supply and demand and all that.  I just have to wonder how out of all the millions of postings on eBay, someone came across my particular auction for socks.  I think there are definitely people out there who spend a lot more time on eBay than I do, which is kind of a scary thought.

It's actually kind of addicting, selling my belongings to complete strangers.  I get a kick out of scrolling through my auctions, seeing who's bidding on and who's just watching an item.  Every time I sell something, I go pawing through my closet for something else to sell.  Given that I've been shopping mercilessly for decades, I have no shortage of things to get rid of.  The best thing of all though, is that I feel like I'm able to shop for free.  All my eBay sellings go into an online bank account, which I can use on almost any e-commerce website.  It's been coming in handy given my recent binge on buying baby clothes.  Funny to think that I'm selling my own clothes with the intention of clothing someone else.

But it's nice.  I'm thinning out my clothing, and I'm putting the money to (mostly) good use.  Of course, I still manage to buy a few things for myself every now and again, but I don't feel the pinch in the bank account anymore.  Which is interesting...since I've been selling on eBay, I find myself shopping less for myself than when I was trying to stretch my shopping from paycheck to paycheck.  That doesn't mean that I'm not shopping for other people, of course...hahaha!  Simon has a birthday coming up, and all of his birthday presents were purchased with eBay money.  It's like all the presents were free!  I know they're not actually free since the initial item was purchased at some point, but it feels like it's free.  That's good enough for me.  :)

If you're interested, take a peek at my eBay page...You just might find something you like!  And yes, my eBay name is littlepugbutt...that shouldn't really be all that surprising...hahaha!     

No comments:

Post a Comment