Sunday, May 3, 2015

We Have an Idea

So we have an idea.  It's a crazy idea.  I can't even believe that I'm considering it, yet I'm really excited about it and about what the future might hold for Simon and I. 

So this crazy idea is a bus.  A school bus.  A school bus converted into an RV, that we will drive around the country and camp at random, hoping we can survive in our bus by working only 6 months out of the year. 

That's crazy, right? 

Yes, it is.

But it's exciting to think about.  And I think it's totally doable. 

I've been having this feeling of unrest lately.  I still haven't quite figured out what it is or what to do about it, but I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm a bit of a gypsy at heart.  That there is a part of me that is happiest when moving from place to place.  I know it's not for everyone...it's not even for most people...maybe not even for half.  But I think it's for me.

And that's not to say that I don't enjoy where I am right now, or that I haven't enjoyed any of the other places that I've been in the years since I've been a nurse.  I enjoy every place I've been for different reasons, and I think there's a part of me that's craving that variety again.  New places to eat, new places to hike, new people to meet, a new patient population with their regional specific problems.  And only working 6 months out of the year will give us the opportunity to more consistently catch up with all of our buddies and family back in Minnesota.  The decision would definitely be multifactorial.

This idea is definitely in its infancy, so we won't be going anywhere anytime soon, assuming we get our crap together enough to go anywhere at all.  Living in a bus will be challenging, especially for me, because I like to have things.  You can't have lots of things when living out of a bus, no matter how good you are at tetrising things away (I'm pretty darn good, but given the amount of stuff I own, I'm not THAT good).  The debulking of my belongings has already begun.  I went through my closet the other day and purged a lot of things, which will soon be posted to eBay for a couple weeks before I give up and haul them to the Goodwill.  If I can make back even half of what I paid for each item, I'll be happy with that.  And if I don't, I don't.  Nothing to be done about that.  Them's the breaks for a serial shopper.  Either way, they've got to go.

First things first: Debulk Stefanie's items...this will probably be one of the longest and most arduous tasks, just because I have so much crap.  We are hoping to move to a smaller, less expensive place this fall so we can save more money.  We'll miss our cute little place on the hill, but admittedly, it's too big and too expensive for us.  Not that we can't afford it, but we really don't need it.  Hopefully we'll find something that will work for us this fall.  Flagstaff has a pretty cutthroat rental market, so we'll have our work cut out for us.  We'll most likely have to sell the Jeep, sell all our furniture, and we're probably going to sell our kayaks as well.  Sooo...if you're looking for some gently used women's clothing (Size 4-8 or there abouts), a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, or a pair of sea kayaks, please let me know!  They'll be up for grabs within the next year or so.  Well, the clothes are available now...please come take them away!

Also, if you know anyone or a company that specializes in bus conversions, or if you know someone who has one for sale, hit me up!!  I need all the info I can get!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment